A great way to grow your subscribers is to promise to send customers a special offer when they subscribe to your campaign, but what if you want to send different offers to new subscribers based on the alias keyword that they used to opt-in? To do this, you'll want to follow the instructions below.
If you're looking to send messages to subscribers based on the keyword they used to opt-in, but don't want that message sent immediately after opt-in, check out this post.
We highly recommend downloading our guide to growing SMS subscribers before creating a message to new subscribers.
- The first step will be to create your keywords for your campaign, to do this, you'll want to follow these instructions.
- Once all of your keywords are created, you're going to want to Click the Messaging icon in the campaign navigation bar in the top right hand corner of your campaign homescreen.
- Click the green New Message button in the top left hand corner.
- Enter your desired message in the text messaging field. Most businesses use this type of message to reward customers for becoming new subscribers, as this message is only sent after someone subscribes for the first time. If you're looking to just welcome them to your campaign, we recommend doing that in the opt-in message.
- Once you've finished composing your message, click the Schedule radio button.
- In the first drop-down, select "After Opt-In".
- In the second drop-down, select the amount of time you wish to pass between when a customer subscribers, and when you want them to receive your message. We recommend if you're sending a promotion or offer to thank new subscribers for joining your campaign, you select "Immediately".
- Scroll down the bottom of the page and select Send to Segment.
- You'll have two options when segmenting your message, the first being the location of your subscribers (Location is), and the second being the SMS keyword the subscriber used when opting in (Keyword is). Select "Optin Keyword is", then type in one of the keywords you created in step 1 into the available field. By doing this, you're telling Tatango to send the message you just created to new subscribers that opt-in through that specific keyword.
- That's it, finish your message as you normally would, then Click the Schedule Text Message button at the bottom of the screen, and you'll see a pop-up asking you to confirm that you want to schedule this message.
- To confirm, Click the Schedule Text Message button in the confirmation pop-up to save and schedule this message to be sent to new subscribers.
- Now that you've setup a scheduled message for new subscribers that subscribe through one specific keyword, now it's time to setup scheduled messages for new subscribers that subscribe through your other keywords. To do this, repeat the above process starting at step #2.
- Scheduled messages to new subscribers are only sent to new subscribers. If a customer subscribes, unsubscribes, then re-subscribes to a campaign, they will not receive any messages you've scheduled to new subscribers. This applies to subscribers subscribing with one keyword, then re-opting in with another one of the campaign's keywords. In both scenarios, these subscribers will not receive the scheduled message for new subscribers, they will receive the Second Time Opt-In Message.
- Feel free to schedule multiple scheduled messages for new subscribers, but remember they'll only receive the messages you schedule the first time they opt-in.
- Only subscribers that opt-in after a scheduled after opt-in message has been set, will receive these scheduled after opt-in messages. For example, if a subscriber opts-in, then you create a scheduled after opt-in message, that subscriber will not receive this specific scheduled after opt-in message. It's for this reason that we recommend that you create all of your scheduled after opt-in message before any new subscribers join your campaign.
- After you schedule a message to new subscribers, this message will be stored in Scheduled Messages.
- To learn how to edit a scheduled message to new subscribers, click here.
- If you're looking to just welcome new subscribers to your campaign, and not send them a promotion or offer, we recommend doing that in the opt-in message.