Tatango has two different products.
- Campaigns - These allow your business to collect mobile phone numbers, in order to text message them future offers. An example of business using a campaign would be when the business tells their customers to text their keyword to their short code, in order for their customers to sign up to receive future text message offers, join their mobile coupon club, etc. For instructions on how to setup a new campaign, click here.
2) Autoresponders - These allow your business to create one-time text messaging interactions with your customer. An example of a business using an autoresponder would be when the business tells their customers to text their keyword to their short code, in order to receive a text message in return, with more information about that business, a link to their website, a link to their mobile app, etc. Below are the instructions on how to setup a new autoresponder.
When you log into Tatango, the first thing you'll see is your campaigns dashboard, which lists all your campaigns. Follow the instructions below to create an autoresponder.
- Beneath "Campaigns" on the left side of the screen, click Autoresponders.
- Once you've done step #1, find the green button in the top right hand corner that says Create Autoresponder, and a pop-up will appear on your screen.
- In the pop-up, you'll first want to set your Keyword, which is a word that customers will text to your short code, in order to receive your autoresponder message. Don't worry, you can edit this later if needed. A Keyword can be anywhere between 2 and 15 characters long, but cannot contain any spaces,!,/,$,%, or any other special characters.
- After you've set your keyword, the next step will be to set your Response. This is the message that customers will receive in response when they text your autoresponder Keyword to your short code. Don't worry, you can edit this later if needed.
- When finished, click the green button that says Create SMS Autoresponder.
- The way autoresponders are designed, you're unable to message customers more than once after they text your autoresponder keyword to your short code. If you're looking to message customers more than once, you'll need to setup a campaign.
- Responses to autoresponders will result in a message being sent to a customers saying "Sorry, you can not respond to this message."
- It's possible for customers to respond with either another autoresponder keyword, or even a campaign keyword. When a customer does this, Tatango will respond as normal to either the autoresponder or campaign keyword.
- Tatango does not offer the option to capture data (name, zip code, email, etc.) with autoresponders, expect in the case of specific integrations with email marketing providers, which you can read about here.
- Tatango can't transfer customers that have texted an autoresponder keyword to a campaign.
- Some Tatango customers confuse autoresponders with the Transactional Gateway, as they're very similar in function. The difference between the two is that an autoresponder message is initiated by a customer texting an autoresponder keyword to your short code, while with the Transactional Gateway, a message is initiated by a customer entering their mobile phone number into a website or point of sale system.